Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Rivers of Danger.

My fascination with rivers comes from an odd mix of influences, like childhood rides on the Jungle Cruise, and an early obsession with the explorations of David Livingstone. Though I loved the movie the African Queen, I didn't have much interest in Katherine Hepburn or Humphrey Bogart; the real stars for me were the chugging old steamboat, and the perilous river that it crawled down. Whatever the composite sources, waterways like the Limpopo and the Zambezi have always seemed like sites of pilgrimage to me. In honor of finally seeing the Mekong, I wanted to post a few photos of the other major rivers I've loved.

The Zambezi, Southern Africa (photographed in Zambia and Zimbabwe)

The Nile, North-East Africa (photographed in Egypt)

The Madre de Dios, South America (photographed in Peru)

The Chobe, Southern Africa (photographed in Botswana)

The Los Angeles River, Southern California (photographed off Glendale Blvd)

1 comment:

Jen Laceda | Milk Guides said...

Amazingly evocative photographs!