Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Spring in the Cape.

I'm currently looking outside at a day as bright and crisp as laundered linen-- spring has arrived in Cape Town, and with it I'm feeling quite relieved. I have to admit that in the past spring was the season that interested me the least; it never seemed a match for the freedom of summer or the pleasant brooding atmosphere of autumn. But after the last few weeks of Cape Town's winter turned out to be unexpectedly cold and unpleasant, I'm glad to have clear skies and a warm breeze again. I don't think I'm the only one feeling relieved, either-- everyone in Cape Town seems to look suddenly healthier and happier; they've thrown off winter coats, and are back to colourful skirts and funky shorts.

And the city is looking much better, too. The trees are sprouting new growth, we encountered a troop of fluffy goslings marching through the park, and every day seems to break with a chorus of chirping song birds-- so much nicer than the chorus of shouting homeless people we went to sleep hearing last night.

I still have to write about the honeymoon (it was fantastic), but you might have to wait for that-- at the moment, I'm tempted to escape to the beach for the rest of the day.

No comments: