Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Missing.

Taking a moment to read posted signs, ads, and leaflets can be one of the quickest ways to connect with the soul of a city.

It gives you an instant tap into the triumphs and heartbreaks of its residents. We're having an art show. Our cat is missing. We're economizing-- come buy the stuff we can't afford to keep.

Abbot Kinney in Venice may be one of the few places I can imagine seeing a $350 chair being advertised on a hand-drawn flyer.


Come home, Whiskers. No questions asked.

3 comments:

Sherri said...

I like that chair! Can't believe they took the time to sketch it. :)

Unknown said...

Whiskers is always lost no matter which country you're in. Rule of thumb: never call your cat Whiskers.

julie said...

I was just thinking about this recently too, taking photos of some of the assorted flyers on telephone poles around the city. You do get an instant flavor of what people immediately want and need.

I'm glad you found my new blog, Xander. I'm trying to get caught up in my old blogging ways and will be back soon. ;-)